Tuesday, August 12, 2014

A glance behind the scenes...


If you leave NYC and travel far off Broadway you would find that there are many communities, towns and other cities that have just as good entertainment. From Broadway touring shows throughout the year at the Auditorium theater,, to performance places in the parks to the many other smaller theaters all around the city, Rochester NY (my hometown) is a wonderful place to see it all.

This summer in one of those small theaters a new play came together. Written By M.L.P Carroll and K.C. Craft The Kingdom Next to Fid is a fascinating and magical story that has a Prince, his true love, pirates, a good fairy, a evil witch , a wizard, a dwarf and “ maybe unicorns” all come alive (with the help of living scenery, stuffed animals and a laptop computer) in this epic fairy tale!

I was there in the last week of putting together this massive story. Some actors were on stage running their lines, moving through scenes and keeping their sword fighting skills sharp and accurate as others were “running” around sewing costumes, making props, painting the set and preparing light and sound cues.  All the hard work lead to long nights and lots of cups of coffee.

By the time opening night came, the cast and crew were ready to go. I stood back stage and watched as the actors ran on and off making sure not to miss their cues (a small space and 30 people made for controlled chaos). I was there as an extra pair of hands to hold onto props, help with costumes, run errands and do whatever I could to ease the bedlam.  I have to say that holding  two foils before they are quickly taken away for another exciting sword fight makes one feel powerful.

As the final bows are taken and the house lights go up, I want to raise a glass to the wonderful cast and crew! You guys are awesome! And a big thank you to Meredith and Karen for creating an amazing show. If given the chance I would work with any of these men and women again. I hope I helped more then just a tiny bit.  Although I never saw the production in its entirety, I loved every minute and had a wonderful time visiting The Kingdom Next to Fid.

No comments:

Post a Comment