Friday, October 10, 2014

Gone Girl, the film, a review

Let me start by saying part of loving and watching movies is knowing what to see and a subscription to a entertainment magazine is how I learn about the films I see, that brings me to this past weekends number one movie Gone Girl.

A movie that was on the cover of Entertainment Weekly a couple of months ago (staring at me from my side table wanting me to read what the hype was all about) I wasn't sure if I wanted to or even get the chance to see Gone Girl  Well I did and that is a good thing.

I can't tell you anything about the actual plot for fear of giving something away (although since it is written by Gillian Flynn the author of the book readers may know the plot better then me).

As a film, director David Fincher (The Social Network) uses the same old but very effected techniques he is known for. The cinematography is dark and at time difficult to see the action on screen but works for the setting of a town/neighborhood up in arms over the disappearance of a beautiful woman. The editing on the other hand is superb and intensifies the way the story is told. Fincher easily moves between all sides of the story as we see the characters unravel. All of the characters have their flaws but as the viewer you can understand where each is coming from and why they act in the way they do.

First there is Nick Dunne played by the always enjoyable Ben Affleck. Nick's life is turned upside down and becomes a target for the media and police when his wife goes missing. In this instance I didn't just like Affleck the actor, I liked Nick Dunn the character. From the first moment we see him to the end and in the way he acts with the police and uses the media is pure genius.

His wife Amy played by Rosamund Pike is just as good in a stunning, cunning and suave way.

The other two characters who play major roles in this twisted yet fun thriller are the cop who is in charge of the case Detective Rhonda Boney played by Kim Dickens. I really liked that she wasn't to quick and took her time with developing the case. Dickens was very believable and refreshing. There is also Nick's sister Margo played by Carrie Coon, all I can say about her is, she is the sister I would want if I ever found myself in the same situation.

As for the other supporting actors and their characters-
Tyler Perry was perfect and subtle in the role of Tanner Bolt, Nick's expensive lawyer and Neil Patrick Harris as Desi Collings an ex boyfriend of Amy's and I have to say Spoiler Alert? what happens to his character is something I will not ever forget.

In the end the movie may have been slow and felt long at times but is still well made and each actor gave 100%, making Gone Girl worth checking out.

No comments:

Post a Comment