Sunday, June 12, 2016

Chamberlain not Hamilton


Happy Tony Awards Day! Or is it Hamilton Day?! Either way I have been listening to my Hamilton Musical cast recording for a few days now and was inspired to come up with my own "rap" while swimming for the 1st time this year. I thought it up quick (there is always more to add) and normally I wouldn’t post a 1st draft but it is a special day so…
 
When I was young I was all about Washington, Jefferson and Hamilton
Then in 8th grade I met a new man
Four Score and Seven Years later he came
Antietam, Fredericksburg, Gettysburg,
On top of Little Round Top was a group of men, shooting rebels as they ran towards them
In the middle of a new (Southern) revolution there he stands as commander of the 20th Maine men.
Ran out of ammunition when the yell came “Ready Bayonets”
What’s His name?
Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain!
A professor from Bowdoin
Fighting for the Union in another rebellion
Fought for 4 years, Shot 6 times, once through his boot only slightly wounded
Returned to Maine a hero
Became a 4 term Governor of a state in a re-new nation
Unlike Hamilton
Retired and became an old man
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment