Saturday, June 23, 2018

Solo: A Star Wars Movie


Taking a character from a well-known and beloved movie franchise and giving him or her their own movie can be difficult. When it was announced there would be a stand-alone Star Wars film about a young Han Solo fans were excited then there was some stories about troubles on the set and a new director taking over and the same fans got worried and the backlash about the movie began. The internet already hated it even before it premiered in theaters. But this long time Star Wars fan never gave up hope and when I heard Donald Glover (who will always be Troy on Community to me) was going to play a young Lando Calrissian, I knew I had to see it.

When we see Han for the first time he is, what one from the Victorian days, a street urchin stealing from the streets for a watery living creature. All he wants to do is run away from this life and be a pilot. Once he escapes he joins the military and runs into a thief/smuggler Tobias Bennett played by Woody Harrelson. This will be the man who will teach Han what it takes to work outside of the law.

From director Ron Howard, Solo has many reasons to give it a chance.

From the look of Woody Harrelson’s character to the story itself this film is the space western that I have heard George Lucas speak of when he explains the premise of the original trilogy.

Questions I never thought of were answered, like how he got his name and I was excited about learning how what I already knew about Han came to be.  For example I really loved seeing the beginning of Han and Chewie’s friendship. All of which made me like Han more.

The new character, like those in other Star Wars films just add goodness to the universe we love, even the new droid L3-37 (Phoebe Waller-Bridge) is such a joy to watch.

What can I say about Lando, charming, delightful, adorable and funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment