Friday, February 17, 2012

Midnight in Paris

As an amateur historian I often think about what my favorite time period would be and when I wish I lived? As a writer who wants to be a director what can I say about Woody Allen that hasn’t already been said? Answers-19th century US, what can I say it has The Civil War and The Wild West. As for Wood Allen I have to say I admire a lot of Directors, Writers and Producers (I have my very own Hollywood Tri-fecta those that I would most like to meet/work with) and I like a handful of Mr. Allen’s films my favorite being The Purple Rose of Cairo but it wasn’t until recently when I watched a documentary about Mr. Allen that out of everyone I admire he seems to be the one I should most relate to. From what I can see he writes screenplays in the same way that I try to and given the chance would make movies the way I wanted to and with whom. But I have gotten off track…
Nominated for 4 Academy Awards including Best Original Screenplay, Director and Picture, like with all of Woody Allen’s films the story depends heavily on the dialogue and with a movie in which the central character is a writer Midnight in Paris is all about the story. Owen Wilson plays Gil a successful Hollywood screenwriter who now wants to be taken seriously and decides that to do this he has to write a novel. Gil travels with his fiancĂ©e Inez (Rachel McAdams) as they tag along with her Parents (Kurt Fuller and Mimi Kennedy) to Paris. Much to Inez’s distain Gil falls in love with the city, especially in the rain and one night as she goes off with a couple of friends Gil finds himself alone and walking the streets at night. As the clock strikes midnight a car from the 1920s drives up to him and the passengers inside invite him in. Gil is suddenly transported back in time. A time when and where F. Scott Fitzgerald, Zelda Fitzgerald, Cole Porter, Ernest Hemingway, Gertrude Stein, Pablo Picasso and his beautiful and intriguing girlfriend still live and thieve. To a writer this is a once in a lifetime chance to talk to your heroes and Gil wastes no time being inspired and learning everything he can about life, love and what can make him truly happy, from them. What happens next? Time can only tell all I can write is that after watching I would not mind spending Midnight in Paris.

No comments:

Post a Comment