Monday, June 25, 2012

AL:VH Book report/Film review

The life of President Abraham Lincoln and the “myth” of Vampires, these are a few of my favorite things. So when I saw the movie trailer for Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter a feeling of pure happiness came over me.
As soon as I could I got my hands on a copy of the book (thanks for the b-day present sis) and for the next two weeks threw myself into the story (A short amount of time for me considering I’m more the I’ll wait for the movie then reading a 300 page book type, but this was a special case).
Special because historical fiction is my favorite genre in the section of any bookstore and while you will find this particular one in the fantasy/horror section as an amateur historian and if given the chance I would use this as a teaching tool for the short attention span of the vampire loving teens of today.
The book and screenplay written by Seth Graham-Smith tells a tale or should I say The Untold Story of Abe Lincoln and his lifelong mission to “kill every vampire”. I didn’t think I could love our 16th President more then I already did until I read this book. Half Abraham Lincoln biography, Half scary campfire story it all begins with Abe as a young boy who is devastated by the death of his beloved mother. Eventually he learns the truth of how she died and thinks of nothing but revenge! At the start of his mission a teenage Abe comes across Henry Sturgess, a vampire who is on his own mission to stop his kind from killing all humans who want to make America their own country. Henry goes on to teach Lincoln how to hunt and kill the undead without getting killed himself “Some people are just too interesting to die” ( I have to add he looks good doing so dress with hat and long coat). The author takes on many events in Lincolns life from childhood to store clerk (love life) to lawyer then politics (Springfield legislative to Lincoln/Douglas debates) to his Presidency and the Civil War (Emancipation Proclamation, Gettysburg) and finally his assassination by John Wilkes Booth. All the facts intertwine with vampire lore(old and new) and fiction. At first it might seem like an odd concept, Lincoln hunting Vamps (though I never did) but once it sinks in and you read the book cover to cover as it is told from the prospective of the author and Lincoln,through his “journals” the story is pure genus! Hay, who’s to say it never happened?!
Even though the film directed by Timur Bekmambetoy, takes out some of the history it is still smart and a lot of fun! There are a couple of different characters and new scenes not in the book but I believe it’s just Seth Graham-Smith turning his story into an action packed graphic novel! After all you have to give the viewer something thrilling to look at (in 3D) and it certainly does that! From the look of the 19th century to the clothes and even jewelry worn by Mary Todd, to a battle between man and vampire amongst a stampede of horses and the Civil War itself to a major train ride! Benjamin Walker as Lincoln, Dominic Cooper as Henry, Mary Elizabeth Winstead as Mary Todd , Jimmie Simpson as Joshua Speed, Anthony Mackie as Will and Rufus Sewell as Adam make this a popcorn must see thrill ride(more then once if possible)


In the end if you can see ONLY ONE superhero movie this summer MAKE IT    
ABRAHAM LINCOLN: VAMPIRE HUNTER    


1 comment: